Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sun Moon Lake Teapots



I have spend this year April on Taiwan, you know, pots and tea. It was amazing time and to call it rich and joyful month would be understatement. It was inspirational on so many levels and it is still live. To give you a glance into it, here is one story...

The Lake from Tea research institut, where new clones and tea varietals are developing for decades now...



Sun Moon Lake...for many years it was a symbol of Taiwanese hong cha for me. Red tea, which I love for its unique flavor and energy and which often came to me labeled "tea from Sun Moon Lake area". I did know much about this terior or what to exactly imagine under this name. But when I bought my air ticket to Formosa, the 日月潭 was already on my have-to-see list. If you give a quick search on google images, you will see wonderful lake with mountains around, hotels and tourists but not tea fields. Well, there is a lot to see (and taste) for tea enthusiastic around that place when one drive up from Nantou. But tea finally was not the most precious thing, which I was carrying from that place this time. Nor teapot from local artist. Just ball of wet, yellow, greasy (and bit smelly) clay.



note: for those who would like to read more about background of Taiwanese hong cha I would like to recomment this post on Taiwan Tea Craft blog



How it all have happened? It is so simple. Take three open minded/open hearted friends traveling together for days, combine those with a lot of tea and magical experiences around Sun Moon Lake, and you can bet that one of them is going to suggest swiming. It tooks us a while to find the right spot where "people will be not too many and jungle not too tight". But we did it and with a lot of laughter we were baptized (and refreshed) in Zintun (as Taiwanesse originally call it)



 One of my friends then just reach the bed of the lake (ok, on the edge of bank and water). With words "Petr, this looks like something for you", he give me a small piece of Formosa island. At first touch I knew: I am going to take it with me, I am going to give it a try in fire. It can be slip glaze, it can be body for some small cups, we will see...


After some intermezzos the clay finally land on my work table, in our studio. As intermezzo you can, for example, imagine me, carrying 900g of clay in my jacket, during 7 hours night break on Dubai airport as all my luggage were overweight. Real fun!!... I play with it for a while, thinking what to do with it and how to do it. The clay was very nice, plastic and quite clean (when we consider that it was grabbed from bank of a lake). So I decided to leave it as natural as possible. I just took of some bigger stones, some sharp, smaller ones and few chips of old wood, which I found in it.



First, I make just test cones and put them in to our wood kiln. Such cones, laid out around kiln, can tell us a lot about any new clay. Color, texture but the main thing: How it stands in reduction firing and temperatures.

After this first firing I was pretty sure: It is on the the edge, but there is big chance that this clay will survive in coldest part of our kiln.




So final decision was not to make slip glaze, not bother with small cups. But directly take a chances and make some teapots from that mud! Well, we were three friends on that swimming spot. And as part of this trip, I still had Philip Brook from TaiwansesTeaCraft in my mind, we were happy to meet that day too (he was responsible for the tea in our veins and for much more of the good stuff along the road). So let's make four teapots from bottom of Sun Moon Lake!










What to say more? All important you can see on pictures. The clay was very nice to work with and final teapots are very interesting. Color and texture of the body, "the feeling" is incredible. Because I did not cleaned that clay, there were still some small stones, which on one hand give something special to those small pots. On other hand those stones were my obstacles during throwing and finishing. Pot could be finer without them, losing the rural touch. Either way, these are really unique tea pots. Some Sun Moon Lake hong cha is on its way to my doors. Guess which teapot I am going to brew that tea in.





Bisque fired...

In the kiln...

...with others, before firing.

First peep in to the kiln...








Friendly tea chatting...

First water, first leaves...


Sun Moon Lake in the middle of Europe...

Thank you for reading!
 

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful! It's a great that you would use this raw and natural clay from Sun Moon Lake! These teapots have a great story and this shows in their character. Congratulations to the lucky buyers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephane,

    Thank you for your comment. I have to agree with you. When I hold those small (80-90ml) pots in my hands there was not just my personal feelings (the story behinde them), but also those pots have really special character, as you put it. I again realized that as you can find the terior in tea you drink, there is also the same thing in world of clays.

    There were no buyers, this kind of goods is not for sale. Those pots are on their road to my friends doors right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! I love the story/journey behind the pot. We dont get enough of the story with today's pottery. I love those little guys! I bet a pu' will find a home in one of those pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cody, There are many stories behinde today's pottery I think. Just we (potters) are let say muddy weirdos, most of the time closed in our studios :) It is nice to look outside and take a breath time to time. And share our lives with others...

      Best
      Petr

      Delete
  4. Amazing! Beautiful pots with a beautiful story. I'm sure taking the clay back was no small feat. I hope that none of the airport security had a problem with it. I'm sure that US security would have had all kinds of questions. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Payton, Thank you for your comment. You are right, I was not so sure about going through security gates with something so strange in my jacket (my laguage was far over weight so I had to keep as much as possible on me:)) But I finally, it was just my fear, nobody cared...

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Joanna,

      Thank you for stopping by. If there will be a chance to share a tea with you again one day, I will be happy to bring this pot with me.

      Best
      Petr

      Delete
    2. Petr, it will be great. I hope that you and Mirka will visit us in next year.

      Delete
  6. Always lovely to view of your treasures. I am learning to use this Nook reader; blogs are viewable as well. I am slow learner, really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hezky, moc rada jsem jsem si to precetla.

    ReplyDelete