Tuesday, April 23, 2013

New Clay

 
We test new clays regularly and there is nothing so special about that. But clay I used for this teapot can be labeled as fully natural. It was picked by our friend near her house, when some workers were making trench for water pipe. Yes, she is potter and living in village which is known for traditional ceramic, she is always looking around for local clays.

 Few months back, she give me backet of rough material to try. After soaking in water, sieving, drying and a lot of kneading I got few kilos of a bit too sandy, yet nice clay. Few tests later I created several teapots and some cups to see how they will stand the fire. On pictures here you can see first of those teapots. It was fired by one of our students in our small wood kiln last weekend. I am happy about the final result. And I was even more happy that Michal Zajacek of Harmony of Tea was present during unloading of that kiln. As photographer he is professional and his passion for tea is very live. What a combination! Thank you Michal.


This unglazed teapot can hold 120ml. I put some dry horsetail weed on the top before firing- it created the green-yellow ring on the lid. The clay reminds me some shigaraki pieces I saw. I hope to get more of it soon. I am quite curious how it will work with tea and how it is going to age.














Thank you for reading!



6 comments:

  1. Dear Petr,

    Your teapots are so full of character- this one looks like a little friend one takes into the woods.

    H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hster. This little friend feels in hands like make of fragile sandstone. I have tried it with few teas and leaves look happy there:)

      Delete
  2. It is a lovely littlest gem: copper liken in color. I like the flower as well. Copper=desert clay; nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like ceramics which are build of local clays. It seems so natural. It feels like a particular region or place gave birth to a piece you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Luke. I hope to make more of our work from such rough materials...It is a lot of extra work (muscles and back would say more) but for such small pieces it is worth it.

      Delete